Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 17:00:01 +0300

> From: João Távora <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 14:51:18 +0100
> Cc: emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> I don't resist asking: does relinquishing copyright of a work to
> the "Free Software Foundation" a "nonprofit with a worldwide
> mission to promote computer user freedom" really say nothing
> about what values one wishes to endorse?

It says only what is in the contract that we sign.  Nothing else.

Btw, the contract doesn't only say that you assign the copyright to
the FSF, it also says that the FSF assigns the copyright back to you,
so the original author can still distribute the code as much as he or
she wants and on what terms that he or she wants, regardless and
independently of what the FSF does with the code whose copyright was
assigned.