Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 11:10:09 +0100

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 10:56 AM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> What is the process of becoming :core? is that documented somewhere?

No idea.  I think we just do it for things that are convenient.
Note that :core is for one-file libs only _already_ in the Emacs tree,
and they are taken from the master branch directly.

> E.g., is dash.el undergo such a process to be better suited for core?
> Or will dash.el never be in core (in which case see below)?

No idea.  I think it has to make it into "the core" first. It has three
barriers to overcome IMO: solving its namespacing problem and
proving its technical merits for general usage in the Emacs core.

> Then I ask again the same question: why not let these packages live on
> MELPA or in GitHub or anywhere else?  What do we and the package
> maintainers gain from having these packages on ELPA?

Well, I would say two reasons: 1. It's a staging ground, a stepping
stone where authors can experiment with Emacs dev procedures
2. We envisioned (I recall) that Emacs might one day be distributed
with some of the packages in ELPA, presumably the well behaved
ones.

João