Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 09:14:30 +0300

> From: João Távora <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 22:38:34 +0100
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 7:54 PM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > After thinking about that for a while, I came to the sad conclusion
> > that I no longer understand what is the relation between GNU ELPA and
> > the Emacs project.
>
> GNU ELPA distributes some Emacs source files as :core-type
> package.el packages.  This means that we can fix bugs and evolve
> features in those files in Emacs master and not having to wait many
> months until they make into the next core release.

That's what I thought, but this means GNU ELPA is just a special
branch of Emacs, and apart of the above, all the other requirements
and code conventions should be identical, so that we could move
packages between the core and ELPA at will.  But Stefan evidently
thinks otherwise, because he said the copyright assignment shouldn't
be a requirement for ELPA (and moreover, that requiring it hurts the
Emacs project), and also I see that packages are admitted to GNU ELPA
without asking the authors to adapt them to our coding conventions.

So that led me to a conclusion that there's something fundamental I
don't understand here.