Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 10:18:32 -0400

> Richard also proposed a compromise which AFAIU would allow it to be
> added.  For some reason, that proposal got no responses at all.

IIUC you're referring to:

    However, a small change would avoid these problems.  We could rename
    the file to clostring.el and rename the functions to start with clo
    also: clostring-prepend, clostring-format, etc.

I can't begin to understand how this can be considered a solution.
There's nothing in s.el that is needed.  If people want to use
`s-prepend` instead of `concat` or `s-join` instead of `mapconcat`, why
would anyone presume that they'd be willing to use `clostring-join` and
`clostring-prepend` instead?

We can't force people to write the code we like by withholding `s.el`
from GNU ELPA.  We could hope to get some traction by providing better
names in core (tho it will take many years before that will reduce the
need for `s.el` to be in GNU ELPA), but the long thread about namespace
prefixes has shown that we're unable to do that either anyway.

        Stefan