Re: discoveribility [Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el i

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: discoveribility [Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]]
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 19:21:20 -0400

   It looks like you missed the previous discussion about namespaces.

I didn't.

   >    Emacs's `capitalize` is usually absent from other languages, but when
   >    it exists it's named titleize (Ruby).
   >
   > If you come from Ruby and assume that Emacs lisp is Ruby you will trip
   > -- but they are not the same languages, one cannot expect them to
   > behave the same.

   Well yes I kinda expected Emacs to give us high order programming in a
   consistent and organized manner.

And how does it not already to that?

   If you look at the popularity of dash/s.el/f.el we are many wanting
   that.

I don't know how to look at the popularity of s.el, dash.el which I
have never heard of before this discussion.  I've never heard of f.el
until you just mentioned it here, and I cannot even guess what it
does.  s.el has nothing to do with higher order functions, so why put
it into an already mixed bag of functions?

   > It also is misleading, since it will lower case all words follow the
   > first one, where in an actual title one would expect things like
   > subjects to be capitalize.  E.g, the chapter title "Strings and
   > Characters" -- we do not want it to be "Strings and characters"!

   Well as I said already in every language "capitalize" means first
   character uppercase all the rest lowercase:

You cannot assume that every language, be it spoken or programming,
will use the same word for the same meaning.  And three languages is
quite short of "every language"; these type of exaggerations are not
helpful...

   If you know what to look for yes, with dash I can just regexp
   search for "^-.*\?" and find the *exact list* of all the predicates
   that works on a list.

You are simply using the wrong tool for the job, nor will this regexp
work very well, since it will not list functions that are part of
Emacs Lisp.

If you wish to know what functions work on a list, one should look to
the Emacs Lisp manual, specifically the Lists chapter (even more
specifically, List-related Predicates).  Eli also had a very good run
down on how to use the different functions in Emacs to look up what is
what.