Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 11:14:05 +0200

> >   >   We've recently
> >   > discussed that our copy dash.el is out of sync with recent
> >   > development, and we have coffee-mode.el before that.
> >
> > Would someone with good social skills like to ask the developers of
> > dash to move their development into GNU ELPA, or ask why they have not
> > done so?  I am sure they can see the advantage of having their latest
> > version available through Emacs.
>
> It seems no one has volunteered yet.

Not true anymore! \o/

I just spoke with the author of s.el and I'll quote him directly:

"I would be happy to add s.el to ELPA as is, especially if it does not
include any (or very little) work on my part. Let me know what is
needed."

I think the author does not know what is required to add s.el in ELPA,
and thus dash.el was added by someone else, maybe someone knows about
it?
Please tell me the required steps and hopefully it's not too much work for him.

> But I'm not sure what exactly is involved here.  All I can see in
> elpa.git is that there is a pointer in externals-list to the dash
> repository?  So why isn't it updated exactly?

If that's the case then I have the same question. It'd be
best/simplest if ELPA just mirrors the github repository.

> Hmm, looking closer.  Is it enough for the package maintainer to just
> push the latest changes to the 'externals/dash' branch in addition to
> the original repository?

If so I think it's reasonable. Out of curiosity can we also do this
with the master branch?