Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 14:08:13 +0100

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 1:59 PM Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Well none of those users of s.el are in GNU Elpa, right?  They could
> > trivially rename to use cjstring.el, or string.el.
>
> You may not like the `s-` prefix, but there's a reason why this library
> is so popular and it's not only because it puts everything under
> a single prefix where things are easier to find (tho, I do think it's
> also a significant part of its attractiveness).

Sure. In that case, if it's _not only_ for that reason, then I
would presume it to be mainly because it encapsulates useful
behaviour.  Logically, those developers wouldn't mind
keeping that useful behaviour and finding it under a different
prefix/names. We could even offer to do the renaming for them.

If OTOH they really are in love with the short prefix,
either we convince them to fall out of love with it, or we
implement a package system. Maybe it doesn't have to be a
full-fledged CL package system, but something that allows,
say, file-local nicknames.

That said, looking at the library. I wonder how much of it
is just odd to elisp and wouldn't need renames anyway.
Shouldn't 's-uppercase?' be string-uppercase-p?

João