Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 23:39:01 -0400

  > If we had a package system, ideally one with local nicknames,
  > this would all be moot, I think.

Multiple namespaces with a list of namespaces to search has generally
worked badly in Lisp.  In order for that sort of feature to work well,
the search needs to be done when a symbol is used; but Lisp's nature
forces searching when the symbol is looked up.  Common Lisp is an example
of how this loses.  Name prefixes, which we use in Emacs Lisp, work more
clearly and reliably.

I would strongly oppose adding any sort of read-time package searching
in Emacs Lisp.  If you can manage to design one that does it at run time,
it might be a big advance, but don't expect that task to be easy.

--
Dr Richard Stallman