Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 08:59:22 -0400

> Well none of those users of s.el are in GNU Elpa, right?  They could
> trivially rename to use cjstring.el, or string.el.

I think you're confused: I think you say "trivially" because you only
consider the technical part of it.  In practice, most developers see
little benefit (if any) to having their package in GNU ELPA rather than
in MELPA, so forcing a renaming (and one with longer names) will
definitely put off a fair chunk of them.

You may not like the `s-` prefix, but there's a reason why this library
is so popular and it's not only because it puts everything under
a single prefix where things are easier to find (tho, I do think it's
also a significant part of its attractiveness).

        Stefan