Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 11:20:26 +0200

>> Out of curiosity, say "real" namespaces land in Emacs, do you reckon
>> we'd be able to agree on reasonably well-defined topics?
>
> Sure, I think so.  If they were here today, you could have
> the s.el library under  the "modern-string" namespace
> or "magnar-string" namespace or something like that. I don't
> see it'd be contentious. In your library, you could then somehow
> indicate you'd like to use the "magnar-string" namespace
> and have access to what is now "magnar-string-empty-p"
> under just "empty-p". Or maybe you'd prefer to indicate
> you want to use the "magnar-string" namespace under
> the "s-" local nickname.  Then you can type "s-empty-p"
> as you're used to. Same thing with dash.el that so many
> people like.

Very interesting. To me it looks like we cannot agree on prefixes
already... thus I infer that if namespaces would work, then the
current disagreeing is about "any renames" more than disagreeing with
the "prefix" (namespace) chosen. Putting things in namespace would not
be seen as renames, because they can still get the "untouched" names
experience.