Re: How to poll the users

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: How to poll the users
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 19:46:40 +0300

On 25.04.2020 19:15, Stefan Kangas wrote:

I don't want to come across as negative towards your suggestion to
create a poll, which I think is an excellent initiative.  But perhaps
we could consider if there are more pressing or engaging questions to
put before our users.  The tabs vs spaces debate feels a little bit
dated, at least to me, and possibly not even that important since it's
so easy to configure to your liking.

I don't know about that. It's definitely not urgent, but it's a fairly simple question (unlike some others we might ask), and I think the default behavior of mixing tabs with spaces constitutes a point of confusion for new Emacs users to this day.

Perhaps we could even consider asking for their input on a number of
important questions (not too many, say 4-5) where it would be
interesting to get feedback.  Ideally we would try to choose questions
strategically to inspire excitement for Emacs development.  (Tabs vs
spaces could of course be one of them.)

I think we should only ask one question at a time. Creating multiple polls is an option, of course, but we could just as well wait a little between them.

And if indent-tabs-mode is not important in your opinion (it's just the first thing that came to my mind), do you want to come up with some other questions?