Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 05:17:00 +0300

On 21.04.2020 05:06, Po Lu wrote:
No, it doesn’t - see previous comments.
Yes it does.  I can't be bothered to put an extra line in my .emacs for
every tiny change users decide they want.

Please keep in mind that if we hope to make Emacs reach, say, 30% share among programmers, the extra 25% would be new users.

So for all questions about changing defaults, we should ask ourselves, do we prioritize the existing 5% (or 3%, as SO poll says) userbase that will naturally continue shrinking over the years, or whether we prefer to make life easier and more productive for the users that should come later.

And it's not like existing, long-time users can't grow to like the new defaults (even after a certain amount of grumbling). I think the Xref example shows that.