RE: How to poll the users

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to poll the users
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 08:35:21 -0700 (PDT)

> > > Emacs StackExchange site has around 20'000 registered
> > > users. The Emacs subreddit has almost 40'000 subscribers.
> >
> > ... Have you got any other suggestions of places?
>
> The ones I mentioned are the biggest ones I know.

Also:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/emacs

https://superuser.com/questions/tagged/emacs

> ask the users about their preferred value of indent-tabs-mode? ...
>
> This particular subject has endured some heated discussion in the past,
> and we never managed to agree enough to change it. But we never asked
> the users at large either. According to my data, most of them should
> prefer spaces.

FWIW, there's an Emacs Wiki page for that topic:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/NoTabs

> If I do create a poll, and the outcome would strongly indicate a change
> of the default, we'd pretty much have to change it then, though.

FWIW, I don't agree with that conclusion, in the abstract.

[ But I do prefer spaces-only, personally.  And beyond a
preference for using that within Emacs, when pasting code
copied from Emacs into other apps (e.g. Q&A on the web
sites mentioned), if you have a non-nil value then you
need to first use `M-x untabify', or else manually
reformat everything after pasting. ]