Re: How to poll the users

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: How to poll the users
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 17:25:43 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't know about that. It's definitely not urgent, but it's a fairly
> simple question (unlike some others we might ask), and I think the
> default behavior of mixing tabs with spaces constitutes a point of
> confusion for new Emacs users to this day.

OK, you convinced me.

> I think we should only ask one question at a time. Creating multiple
> polls is an option, of course, but we could just as well wait a little
> between them.

Yes, it's not immediately obvious which way is better.  So let's keep
it simple and do what you suggest.

> And if indent-tabs-mode is not important in your opinion (it's just the
> first thing that came to my mind), do you want to come up with some
> other questions?

If I was to design a series of questions, they would probably be about
more "soft" aspects of the project, regarding things we are discussing
in other threads: how to get more people involved in Emacs core
development, contributing to GNU ELPA, etc.  Of course, nothing is
resolved with merely sending out a poll, but I imagine it would help
gauge the situation and make us feel more confident about which
direction to take.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas