Re: How to poll the users

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: How to poll the users
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 18:15:24 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> If the poll doesn't contain an implicit promise (e.g. "we considering a
> change of default"), the turnout is likely to be much lower. Which is
> not what we want, I think.

I agree.  I would add I think this could be an important way for
emacs-devel to interact with regular users, and make them feel more
involved.

I don't want to come across as negative towards your suggestion to
create a poll, which I think is an excellent initiative.  But perhaps
we could consider if there are more pressing or engaging questions to
put before our users.  The tabs vs spaces debate feels a little bit
dated, at least to me, and possibly not even that important since it's
so easy to configure to your liking.

Perhaps we could even consider asking for their input on a number of
important questions (not too many, say 4-5) where it would be
interesting to get feedback.  Ideally we would try to choose questions
strategically to inspire excitement for Emacs development.  (Tabs vs
spaces could of course be one of them.)

Just some food for thought.  Either way you decide, I'm sure I'll be
happy with the outcome.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas