RE: How to poll the users

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to poll the users
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 09:54:23 -0700 (PDT)

> > Also:
> > stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/emacs
> > superuser.com/questions/tagged/emacs
>
> Right. But these seem smaller

Super User is limited in the number of Emacs questions, certainly (1,643
questions).

Stack Overflow is NOT limited.  It has 16,700 Emacs questions.
emacs.StackExchange has 18,717 questions.  In other words, they are about the
same size.  And there's a fair amount of overlap in the kinds of questions they
have.

But the number of questions is only one consideration.  Each of those Stack
Exchange sites offers a different mix of users.

In particular, the users of those other sites are programmers of all sorts,
people for whom Emacs is not necessarily the be-all and end-all of their lives,
people who often primarily want to use Emacs for programming.

That's important, I think.  Emacs questions on Stack Overflow may be less
oriented toward things like Org mode, image display, faces, etc., and more
oriented toward programming.

We want to reach all kinds of Emacs users.  Programmers are a key user group,
and many programmers are more likely to ask an Emacs question, or a question
that touches on Emacs, on an SE site other than emacs.SE.

And beyond the sites I mentioned, there are other SE sites that have Emacs Q&A,
and still others that have Lisp Q&A that is relevant to Elisp.

An SE poll on a site other than emacs.SE should of course be tagged `emacs`.