Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 21:51:08 -0400

  > > That statement may be correct, but you've changed the topic.

  > Did I?

  > The topic was Emacs's popularity, AFAICT.

Yes.  I want Emacs to become once again popular for editing text for
publication, as it was before.

More than that, I want to use it myself that way.

  > As a word processor, it's a lot less capable, and adding the two
  > features you mentioned above won't bring us much closer to that goal,

A long journey has to be achieved step by step.  Since 1990 I have
planned to extend Emacs to do word processing.  If that doesn't
interest you, you don't have to help, but please don't get in the way.

  > And there are existing Free programs
  > that do this better already (like LibreOffice Writer).

I use LibreOffice.  It works, but I very much miss the
fundamental capabilities of Emacs.

I want to do word processing in Emacs and program commands in Emacs Lisp.

--
Dr Richard Stallman