Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 13:14:12 +0300

> From: Joost Kremers <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 08:36:49 +0200
>
> > You are actually describe the strength of Emacs as an integrated
> > package whose parts work well with one another.  And yet we have
> > separate manuals for major parts: Gnus, Org, Eshell, etc. --
> > just look
> > inside doc/misc/.
>
> Yes, but it's a different level of integration. I need a decent
> working knowledge of Elisp to be able to integrate Gnus and
> Eshell. But I only need to know Org syntax in order to integrate
> my TODO list, task management and writing with my calendar. The
> point is, I need to know Org syntax anyway to do each single thing
> separately. Integrating them doesn't require a deeper level of
> knowledge than I already have.

Unless I misunderstand what you mean by "Org syntax", I don't think
users who want to create documents with Org should be required to know
that syntax.  Instead, there should be commands to help them produce
correctly formatted snippets.  Compare that with Texinfo commands
which produce the various syntactic elements of the language.