Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 23:17:10 -0400

I found it impossible to learn what Org mode does.  Its introduction
taught how to do outline editing.  It made sense, but outline editing
useful for me, so I stopped reading.  I did not want to study use of a
mode for outline editing.

When you tell me that Emacs has important facilities -- doing jobs
very different from outline editing -- that I don't know about because
they have been integrated as "part of Org mode", my conclusion is that
we should have integrated them differently.  Those other facilities
should not be treated as "part of Org mode".  They should be separate
facilities, each one documented separately, and usable by itself.

I would like to see those facilities separated from Org mode and made
into separate first-class subsystems.  Then they can be documented in
the Emacs manual.

--
Dr Richard Stallman