Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 06:07:28 +0300

On 20.04.2020 05:19, Richard Stallman wrote:

   > > Perhaps we could focus on adding missing features to Emacs' display
   > > engine (such as the aformentioned fancy graphics, and also some other
   > > important features that RMS has mentioned, such as variable-pitch
   > > indentation).

   > I'm pretty sure neither "fancy graphics" inside file buffers, nor
   > variable-pitch indentation are the reason for VS Code's popularity.

That statement may be correct, but you've changed the topic.

Did I?

You're talking specifically about VS Code, which is a "source code
editor".  What I had in mind, regarding variable-pitch text, was word
processing.

The topic was Emacs's popularity, AFAICT.

It's already a good source code editor, and yet its share among programmers is < 5%.

As a word processor, it's a lot less capable, and adding the two features you mentioned above won't bring us much closer to that goal, compared to established options. And there are existing Free programs that do this better already (like LibreOffice Writer).

We certainly should enable all kinds of uses, but given the limited resources, I think we should play to our strengths first.