Re: Improved welcome screen

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Improved welcome screen
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 00:29:17 +0300

On 27.04.2020 22:32, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Could you give an example of an excluded link?

"Open a File", "Open Home Directory", "Customize Startup".

Two things.

First: the first two items duplicate the toolbar items, so they're pretty unnecessary. "Customize Startup" could move somewhere else, but honestly, it also looks out of place, since the only apparent purpose it has is tell the user how to hide the start screen.

I think we better make the start screen better (like other editors do), so the users won't hurry to hide it right away. But keep the user option, of course.

And if there are auto-save files, we currently show a hint to type
"M-x recover-session RET".  Is that also gone?

I don't know, but we could keep it.

Second thing: I think Stefan's work is a modification of the "About" buffer. Whereas you are talking about the startup screen. They are close enough to mistake one for another, but still different. For some reason.

To Stefan: to display the latter, I run 'HOME=/tmp src/emacs'.