Re: Improved welcome screen

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Improved welcome screen
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 10:19:59 +0300

> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 05:49:33 +0300
> Cc: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>,
>  Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> > Or we could decide that the version information is not really needed
> > at all for the purposes of this screen.  I don't have a very strong
> > opinion here except that I don't think it's ideal to advertise details
> > like the cairo version at the very top of the screen (as before).
>
> Indeed, maybe not.

If we are talking about the "About" screen (not the startup screen, as
I initially assumed), then I think the version should be there: I'm
yet to see a program which did NOT show its version in the About menu
item.  That's where people will look for it.  It might even be the
main reason people even look at the About screen.