Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 16:49:31 +0300

On 20.04.2020 08:07, Bob Newell wrote:

As a word processor, it's a lot less capable ... And there are existing Free
programs
that do this better already (like LibreOffice Writer).

You are right, there is LibreOffice, and I don't need Emacs to be
another WYSIWYG word processor.

I mean, new, optional, WYSIWYG modes wouldn't hurt, but they're unlikely to move the needle either.

But that said, it's already a terrific text processor, especially with
org-mode. I've written 8 novels in English, 1 in French, and countless
short stories with Emacs. I couldn't conceive of a more productive
writing tool, and in the writing community I know of many others who
feel the same way.

Sure. And I've heard similar reports myself. But that's a more "specialized" kind of word processor. I don't know of better words to distinguish between the two.