Re: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude Gui problem

From: Bernard Fouché
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude Gui problem
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:16:21 +0100

Ville Voipio wrote:
I really cannot imagine all possible needs, but I think that if the following options are available, almost everybody should be relatively happy:
Chances are low that we use the GUI here since we already have our own system. However if one wants to use your GUI as part of a larger production process, what about:

- allowing one to run an external program that would have to produce in a file given to it as an argument, a string like:

   [F|E],offset,hex values

  where:

   F=flash
   E=eeprom
   offset=position
   hex values (for instance 41424344 for 'ABCD')

  The external program would be run as:

   <external_program_path> <output_file>

 This would allow one to make a tailored serial number system.

- then when the programming is done, another external program would be called with:

   - the previous string
- a value telling if the programming was successfull or not (often it is needed to track serial numbers in a database, to be sure that a serial number is really corresponding to a product, etc.)

Regards,

Bernard