RE: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude Gui problem

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude Gui problem
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:20:49 -0600

Yes, Windows users do care. There is a case to having *just* a
programming tool without having to download all of AVR Studio to get it.

> But, let me play the cranky old Luddite for a moment... beyond fuses,
> what's the point of a gui?  A gui is a lousy make target. 99%
> of what I
> would want from an avrdude gui would be handled by a "pretend
> mode" for
> fuse updates that printed a nice report and warning messages.
>  But I'm
> prepared to be modernized.

Don't look at it as mutually exclusive (CLI *xor* GUI). The point is
there are needs for both CLI and GUI interfaces. CLI for makefile rules.
GUI for human interactive programming. Just as there are beginning users
and advanced users.

Right now avrdude supports CLI. It needs to have the GUI interface as
well.