RE: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude Gui problem

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude Gui problem
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:18:51 -0600

- Fuse settings (as you mentioned)
- Beginning user, who needs the comfort of a GUI. University student
first learning embedded systems. Electronic tech on the factory floor
who is not as comfortable with a CLI.

As another argument, look at all the people who use AVR Studio and the
GUI programming interface (note that there were more than 300,000
downloads of AVR Studio in 2007). AVR Studio comes with a command line
programmer too (which is called from the GUI), but there are many
Windows users who are just more comfortable with the GUI, for whatever
reason.

I'd much rather serve the whole spectrum of users and offer both CLI and
GUI.

Besides, it seems that it is a difficult challenge. There have been
several people who have tried to build a GUI for avrdude and have failed
for one reason or another. I'm beginning to think that it can't be done.
;-)