RE: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude Gui problem

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude Gui problem
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:25:28 -0600

There are too many times where I have seen "DLL hell" on Windows
computers. This DLL would not be shared among several applications, so I
don't see a need to physically separate it out into a library. Also
remember that avrdude is built with MinGW. Right now it is simple to
build it into a single executable. I'd rather not get into what it would
take to build a DLL with MinGW.

Take a look at the model that Insight uses (GDB + GUI), where Insight
contains GDB and with a command line switch it can be the typical CLI
GDB, or offer the GUI version. (Note that I am not promoting the use of
Tcl/Tk here, just the DLL-less model of application building.)

> If there is a concerted effort to produce a AVRDude-GUI using
> wxWidgets,
> then I would be interested in helping. The several previous attempts
> have what I call "poor" usability and this is area to start
> first.

Agreed. :-)