Re: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude Gui problem

From: Mike Perks
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude Gui problem
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 04:06:23 -0500

Ville Voipio wrote:
To summarize: If you want to be able to use the GUI on the factory
floor, there are three factory-floor-specific things which need to be there:

1. A simple interface (not too many buttons or choices to confuse people.)

2. The possibility to attach written instructions with pictures.

3. The possibility to embed serial numbers into flash/eeprom.
I would suggest that we build the API library and one front-end GUI implementation. Then anyone else can take that and build any custom GUI they like. If someone in the team wants to go off and prototype a "simple" GUI as a proof of concept then great. It would prove out the API.
applications is just producing more work than it gains.  I don't see
any advantage of that approach, compared to offering a traditional
library that can be statically linked.

I vote for this approach. Statically linked libraries would make me
happy.
I originally suggested perhaps having a dynamic library partly because that's what I used to doing at work when we build larger systems. However I am fine with a static library in this instance - it meets the requirements.

Regards,
Mike