Re: [avrdude-dev] Release?

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Release?
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:04:47 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

:) As Brian Dean wrote:
:)
:) > I'd like to do one last build on FreeBSD a little later and double
:) > check that the new port won't need any patches.
:)
:) Currently trying on a FreeBSD 4.x box.  The auto* stuff is giving me a
:) lot of grieve.  While i just committed a minor change to bootstrap
:) (one of the AUTO* variables needs to be exported since
:) automake${VERSION_OF_THE_DAY} is going to call
:) autoconf${VERSION_OF_THE_DAY} but needs to know what version to call
:) it by today), these things are poisoning into each of the generated
:) Makefiles, and it seems their versions aren't so easily overridable
:) there.

I think that change you made should just export all of the AUTO*
variables. I think (vaguely) that would cause the Makefile.in files to
have the proper versions.

:)
:) Right after ./bootstrap:
:)
:) % make
:) cd . && autoheader
:) autoheader: not found
:) *** Error code 127
:)
:) Stop in /usr/home/j/src/avrdude.
:)
:) Excerpt from the generated Makefile:
:)
:) AUTOCONF = autoconf
:) AUTOHEADER = autoheader
:) AUTOMAKE = automake-1.7
:) ACLOCAL = aclocal-1.7
:)
:) (All wrong.  AUTOCONF should be autoconf257, AUTOHEADER should be
:) autoheader257, and AUTOMAKE and ACLOCAL should be automake17 and
:) aclocal17, resp.)
:)
:) I begin to hate this ``re-run auto-foo'' automatism that is built
:) into the Makefiles...  They'd better leave this to the operator
:) to decide.

I don't think that this will be an issue when building from the
tarball. Have you tried that? For me, it seems to consistantly use the
missing script instead of the installed autotools.

:)
:) Sorry for the rant.  Ted, i value your work into all this
:) infrastrucure, since it helps to reduce the maintenance burden for any
:) multi-platform software system.  However, the mutual incompatibility
:) of these tools that evenutally force them to be installed by version
:) number just sucks.

I can't argue with that. It's been a pain in the a** for me too. The
autotools developers have been rather poor with version to version
compatibility.

I tend to use this script for getting through the configure phase:

#!/bin/bash

: ${AC_VER="-2.57"}
: ${AM_VER="-1.7"}

set -x

AUTOHEADER=autoheader${AC_VER}
AUTOCONF=autoconf${AC_VER}

AUTOMAKE=automake${AM_VER}
ACLOCAL=aclocal${AM_VER}

export ACLOCAL AUTOHEADER AUTOCONF AUTOMAKE

rm -rf obj
mkdir obj

./bootstrap
cd obj
../configure --prefix=$HOME/local/avrdude
#make distcheck

This way I know that auto* and configure are all using the same
versions.

:)
:) OK, after manually fixing the Makefile, it seems to do.  My older
:) teTeX version doesn't come with texi2dvi, gotta upgrade that some day.
:) The rest is doing fine.  Brian, for the FreeBSD port, you probably
:) need to find a way how to keep all this auto* stuff out of the
:) generated Makefiles (i. e., configure should be run in a way that it
:) doesn't find any of these tools installed).

As stated above, I think using the tarball from a 'make dist' will
solve that (at least my tests have shown as much).

Ted