Re: [avrdude-dev] Release?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Release?
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:39:58 +0100

As Brian Dean wrote:

> I'd like to do one last build on FreeBSD a little later and double
> check that the new port won't need any patches.

Currently trying on a FreeBSD 4.x box.  The auto* stuff is giving me a
lot of grieve.  While i just committed a minor change to bootstrap
(one of the AUTO* variables needs to be exported since
automake${VERSION_OF_THE_DAY} is going to call
autoconf${VERSION_OF_THE_DAY} but needs to know what version to call
it by today), these things are poisoning into each of the generated
Makefiles, and it seems their versions aren't so easily overridable
there.

Right after ./bootstrap:

% make
cd . && autoheader
autoheader: not found
*** Error code 127

Stop in /usr/home/j/src/avrdude.

Excerpt from the generated Makefile:

AUTOCONF = autoconf
AUTOHEADER = autoheader
AUTOMAKE = automake-1.7
ACLOCAL = aclocal-1.7

(All wrong.  AUTOCONF should be autoconf257, AUTOHEADER should be
autoheader257, and AUTOMAKE and ACLOCAL should be automake17 and
aclocal17, resp.)

I begin to hate this ``re-run auto-foo'' automatism that is built
into the Makefiles...  They'd better leave this to the operator
to decide.

Sorry for the rant.  Ted, i value your work into all this
infrastrucure, since it helps to reduce the maintenance burden for any
multi-platform software system.  However, the mutual incompatibility
of these tools that evenutally force them to be installed by version
number just sucks.

OK, after manually fixing the Makefile, it seems to do.  My older
teTeX version doesn't come with texi2dvi, gotta upgrade that some day.
The rest is doing fine.  Brian, for the FreeBSD port, you probably
need to find a way how to keep all this auto* stuff out of the
generated Makefiles (i. e., configure should be run in a way that it
doesn't find any of these tools installed).