Re: [avrdude-dev] Release?

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Release?
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 20:39:39 -0500

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 05:06:12PM -0700, E. Weddington wrote:

> I went ahead and commited the changes in the docs and filled in the 2
> empty sections. However, I have not been able to confirm the example
> for Windows for building from the source tarball. I'm fairly
> confident though that it should be fine. I feel fine enough about it
> for a release unless there are objections.

Well, I think we're good to go on FreeBSD.  I've done a 'make dist',
and used the resulting tar file from that as the source.  I've
integrated it into the FreeBSD ports tree and used that to build and
install, and to make a package.  I've also copied the source over to a
fairly bare system without much installed and done a build and install
to make sure that I've got all the dependencies there that I need.
Too bad the doc system requires such heavyweight distributions as
teTeX (for the texi2* programs).  Seems like using a full production
factory floor CNC milling machine to trim your toe nails :-)

Without that, the FreeBSD port install would be really quick to build
and install.  The way it is, I'm still waiting on teTeX to build on my
old pentium II.  Ah, it finally finished - took about 45 minutes on my
old 300 MHz P II.  Oh well, I don't see any way around this at the
moment.  Joerg, I looked at your port for avr-libc thinking maybe you
worked around that requirement somehow, but I see you have those
depending on teTeX, too.

So the good news is, most folks will install avr-gcc and friends
first, which will go off and install teTeX and all the doc processing
stuff and folks will moan and complain about how long it takes.  Then
they will go to install avrdude and it will be really fast since all
the prerequisites will already be installed, and I won't get blamed
for the huge amount of stuff that gets installed for avrdude :-)

Of course, my theory is invalidated if they decide to install avrdude
first :-/

> I'm leaving now and I will be out for most of the day tomorrow,
> probably back in the late afternoon.

Ok, well if and when everyone is OK with everything, just say the word
and one of us can upload the result of 'make dist'.  I volunteer if
noone else wants that chore.  That would also be the right time to tag
the repo.

Cheers,
-Brian
--