Re: [avrdude-dev] Release soon?

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Release soon?
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 09:30:58 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Brian Dean wrote:

:)
:) > Don't fiddle with the auto* stuff inside the port, i'd say.  Just run
:) > autoconf and automake before creating the tarball that goes into the
:) > download area, that's IMHO also what avr-libc does.  Then, all you
:)
:) Good idea.  Do you think it would also be reasonable to pre-generate
:) the doc?  That way, I don't think there'd be any dependencies.
:)
:) If we go this way, would I suspect I would need to create a special
:) tarball for the FreeBSD port since I doubt the same auto*'d files
:) would work on Linux depending on what versions are installed locally,
:) etc.  If I do, that's certainly not a problem.

You should always roll a tarball with "make dist && make distcheck".

If all goes well, you should not need to have autotools on the build
system. The tarball will include the Makefile.in files (generated from
Makefile.am by automake) and the configure script (generated from
configure.ac by autoconf). All of the *.in files are processed when
you run the configure script.

In the end, you should have only one "official" tarball which anyone
on any system can grab and build. If the "one true" tarball is broken
for someone, then we screwed up somewhere. ;-)

Ted