auctex-devel

Re: [a new branch?]

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [a new branch?]
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2021 11:34:16 +0100

>>> "TH" == Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

[Snip]...

> It looks like you regularly rebase it onto master.  I like that but I'm
> not sure what users like Uwe think.  If you "git pull" a rebased branch
> (and you have no local changes), will that just work or do you also need
> to "git reset --hard origin/branch"?

Actually I am not a big fan of rebasing[1]. It might be useful if I have
a local branch in my machine, and the maintainer don't want me to merge
and having all my small changes in his repository. In that case I rebase
(and collapse using hg-git, not sure how that is done in git)

But in the case of out-dir I find this confusing.

I thought the workflow is as follows,

Al (or Tassilo) pushed is changes to that branch,

if something exciting happens in the master branch (say some style files
are added),

Al would pull and merge the master branch into his branch and push.

This way the users know what is what. Once the testing is done,

one could either merge his branch into master, or rebase if you find
that more convenient (I don't but I don't have a say)

> For the time being, I suggest you keep on rebasing until someone
> complains.

Hm, I just pulled.

git log --graph --decorate --all

shows me

|   * commit f1862ed376ddb07edaefe0b0f5c9a3067b830ad7 (origin/tex-build-only)
| | Author: Al Haji-Ali <a.hajiali@hw.ac.uk>
| | Date:   Fri Feb 26 14:22:26 2021 +0000
| |
| |     Simplified implementation and got rid of Emacs 25 features

git branch -a

remotes/origin/tex-build-only

 mercurial with hg-git

Shows me something similar using bookmark.

Although I would have done it this way, I think I can live with that.

Uwe

Footnotes:
[1]  maybe because I am a mercurial user?