auctex-devel

Re: [a new branch?] (was: Output to directory patch)

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [a new branch?] (was: Output to directory patch)
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 20:39:06 +0000

Hi Uwe,

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 at 20:14, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:
> I lately have a lot of (mercurial) repositories for Latex projects, that
> include quite a bit of files, so to keep that directory tidy I find very
> useful.

Sorry, but I don't buy this argument.  LaTeX isn't unique in producing
intermediate and final files after a build.  Building any non-trivial
C/C++ programs involves using a complex build system which would
generate lots of build files (makefiles, ninja, etc...), in addition
to the compiled files.  Some build systems make it easy to to the
build in a different directory than that where the source is, but one
of the main points is to easily delete those files.  However, it's
also easy to clean up all LaTeX intermediate and final files from
within AUCTeX, and you can ignore them in your VCS, if that's your
concern.  So in the end I don't see how this feature is so
fundamental, as nice as it is.

> May I suggest something? Why not give Al write access to the repository
> so that he can have his code in a new  branch?

How'd that be different from maintaining the branch on any other code
hosting service as he's doing now?

If implementing this feature in a clean and robust way was easy, it'd
have happened years ago, well before my attempt in 2013.

Bye,
Mosè