auctex-devel

Re: [a new branch?]

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [a new branch?]
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 22:13:56 +0100

>>> "MG" == Mosè Giordano <mose@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Mosè,

> Hi Uwe,
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 at 20:14, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:
>> I lately have a lot of (mercurial) repositories for Latex projects, that
>> include quite a bit of files, so to keep that directory tidy I find very
>> useful.

> Sorry, but I don't buy this argument.  LaTeX isn't unique in producing
> intermediate and final files after a build.  Building any non-trivial
> C/C++ programs involves using a complex build system which would
> generate lots of build files (makefiles, ninja, etc...), in addition
> to the compiled files.

That might be very well true, but I have to admit that I don't do these
things anymore, the only hacking I do concerns (besides very small lisp
hacks) matlab, and for my use cases a simple .m will do.

> Some build systems make it easy to to the build in a different
> directory than that where the source is, but one of the main points is
> to easily delete those files. However, it's also easy to clean up all
> LaTeX intermediate and final files from within AUCTeX, and you can
> ignore them in your VCS, if that's your concern.

I know that and yes I use, of course, a .hgignore file and I also run in the
past
very cleanup programs, but it was just inconvenient

> So in the end I don't see how this feature is so fundamental, as nice
> as it is.

I think this boils down to what one considers as fundamental.

Mind you the curse of AucTex is that it is so mature!

So it is difficult to find really new exciting features, maybe the last
big leap was preview-latex.[1] (For me it was also the prettifier
functionality (since I was a long x-symbol user from my Xemacs times)

All I can say, is that for me something fundamentally changed in my
workflow: I simple had not to keep my directories tidy, which I forgot
from to time and then my directories looked messy. So I can be more
productive this way.

>> May I suggest something? Why not give Al write access to the repository
>> so that he can have his code in a new  branch?

> How'd that be different from maintaining the branch on any other code
> hosting service as he's doing now?

Convenience?

> If implementing this feature in a clean and robust way was easy, it'd
> have happened years ago, well before my attempt in 2013.

That might be very well true. Again all I can say is: I have not
encountered any problems so far running latex/pdflatex and xelatex which
I do on a daily base, using the subfiles packages and other stuff, in
the projects I am currently working on.

So all I tried to propose is just a more convient way to have access to
his code.

Regards

Uwe

> Bye,
> Mosè

Footnotes:
[1]  a part from  providing more lisp files that support more latex
     styles, but that is hardly fundamental or exciting.