auctex-devel

Re: [a new branch?]

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [a new branch?]
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2021 20:56:43 +0100

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

Hi Uwe,

>    >> Indeed, one would have to run `git reset ...`.  I preferred to rebase
>    >> so that it is easier for you as AUCTeX maintainers to merge changes
>    >> and since no one was using my repo besides me.
>
>    > Yes, I prefer this workflow, too.
>
> I am confused,
>
> If I pull do I have then to run
>
> git reset --hard origin/branch
>
> ?

No, instead of "git pull" you'd do

  git fetch && git reset --hard origin/tex-build-only

> In my understanding git reset --hard is basically the same as hg strip
> -r commit

I don't know what "hg strip -r commit" does but "git reset --hard
origin/branch" is the way to tell git to reset the current branch to
exactly what's there on branch on the remote origin.

> Wouldn't do a simple
>
> git checkout remotes/origin/tex-build-only
>
> the same?

Yes, that would also do (assuming you run "git fetch" before), I think.
The difference is that the "reset" says to make your local
tex-build-only identical to the remote one whereas the latter checks out
the remote branch itself.  As you've already seen, that puts you in a
detached head state (meaning you cannot make commits there).  As a mere
user who just wants to compile and run the code, that's also ok.

> That is really confusing, there is a branch and I cannot check it out,
> without getting a warning. [1]

When you checkout a branch remote/branch (e.g. origin/tex-build-only),
you checkout the thing that tracks the branch on the remote and must not
be altered.

> I presume this is fine for compilation, but sigh, I think I stick with
> hg and hg-git
>
> Then a simple
>
> hg up tex-build-only

I wouldn't bet on that but we'll see.