Re: [aspell-devel] [aspell #336454] Aspell Malayalam

From: Praveen A
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] [aspell #336454] Aspell Malayalam
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 12:12:31 +0530

2007/7/2, Kevin Atkinson <address@hidden>:

Hi.  I do not fully understand the issue as I do know very little about
Malayalam.  Can you please explain it to to me or give me a link that does.

I will try to summarise the issue. Malayalam has a set of characters
called "chillu" (or pure consonants) which are not basic characters
but derivatives of the basic characters and so they don't have a
codepoint in unicode as of now.

So to render these characters unicode special character ZWJ is used.
So if you want to create a "chillu" then what you do is use a
combination of the base consonant (has a codepoint in the range
allotted to Malayalam) + halant (again has a codepoint in the range
allotted to Malayalam) +  ZWJ (unicode special character u+200d and
which is not in the range of Malayalalam). I think many other
languages also use ZWJ for example see this
http://www.laits.utexas.edu/persian/persianword/zwj.htm

In the same way to prevent conjunct formation ZWNJ (u+200c) is used.
So I guess the issue can be solved if Malayalam is allowed to have ZWJ
and ZWNJ (and sometimes ZWS but rare).

Let me know if anything is not clear.

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007, Gora Mohanty wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 15:02 +0530, Santhosh Thottingal wrote:
>> Forwarding to this mailing list.
>> As Gora said it is strange to make users knows about ZWJ and ZWNJ, but
>> there is no other way to solve the specific problem of chillaksharas.
>> We are trying to minimize this problem by using transliteration based
>> keyboards. Inscript Keyboard layout users must know about these
>> codepoints as of now.

Users know of these as the keyboard layout has positions for these
characters and transliteration input methods use _,~ to use this.

If you wish to use some unused code points for this purpose you can make
use of the private use area.  Just let me know how many you need and I
will assign them for this purpose within Aspell.  This way there is no
possibility of a conflict.

Would it be possible to give exceptions for this characters for Malayalam?

Cheers
Praveen
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍