Re: [aspell-devel] [aspell #336454] Aspell Malayalam

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] [aspell #336454] Aspell Malayalam
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:50:32 -0600 (MDT)

2007/7/10, Kevin Atkinson <address@hidden>:
There is no need.  You can use some of the lower characters for these code
points.  You may use the control characters 01-0F and 11-1F are even the
latin letters.  In particular the following characters may be remapped.

   01-0F (  1- 15) # Control characters
   11-1F ( 17- 31) # Control characters
   41-5A ( 65- 90) # Uppercase Latin alphabet
   61-7A ( 97-122) # Lowercase Latin alphabet
   80-FF (128-255)

If I understood it correctly, these characters are also allowed in Malayalam. So my question is why can't we allow unicode special characters (zwj,zwnj,zws) also in Malayalam, in the same way these control characters and latin characters are allowed? In that case there won't be any need for remapping also.

The mapping is for Aspell's internal encoding only. Thus, the issue is not if they are allowed in Malayalam but if they can appear in a Malayalam word. The control characters almost certainly fall in that category. Unless you want to allow Laten words than so do the laten letters. characters not included in the mapping can still appear in Malayalam text as Aspell will just treat them as whitespace.