ruqueue-devel

RE: [Ruqueue-devel] RSS feeds

From: Montana Quiring
Subject: RE: [Ruqueue-devel] RSS feeds
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:51:37 -0600

Thanks for the kind words John. Many Open Source Dev's I deal with are a
little... crusty... so I try to watch myself. :)

Thanks for all the info John.
My preferences would be the following:
rss/?queue=foo
        Shows tickets in foo queue

rss/?user=jfulton
        Shows open tickets for jfulton user

rss/?status=open&user=jfulton
        Shows all open tickets for jfulton

I think the above three would be the most useful in our environment.

>Is this something that end users can use to view tickets created for them?

I think the emailing system is good enough to keep them in the loop, so I
would say that we would not be interested in this.

>or something that staff can use to keep track of the tickets they need to
resolve?

Yes. This was my thought too. That way they can see if there is any new
tickets without logging in.

>Should some authentication be put in place?

Good question. As long as the admin of the ruQueue setup can restrict or
turn off the RSS feeds I would say not to bother. I've never heard of
authenticated RSS feeds so you might be breaking new ground that could
become quite time consuming. You're call though, I guess.

>If you're only providing subjects and status it probably isn't a
>security issue.  I.e. if someone else out there knows that some user
>(assuming they know which uid to use) has an open ticket called
>"computer broke" it's probably not a big deal.  I think that this
>simplified version might be a good place to start.

Yes, I agree.

>Very cool.  I would have gotten back to you sooner, but I was out of
>town this weekend.  I've created a task in Savannah for this:
>  https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/index.php?6027
>If you want to work on it please try checking out the latest copy from
>CVS and then try adding the rss subdirectory in web-interface.  If you
>write something that you like please send me a link to the tar ball.

Great, and thanks. Give me a couple weeks to learn and play. If you get
anything working before then please let me know. I work with someone that's
an excellent web programmer so I'm going to forward this to him, and talk to
him about it. I'm taking Mondays off until the end of Nov, so that's why I
haven't responded yet either. :)

Thanks again for your interest in helping.

-Montana Quiring