viewmail-info

Re: running viewmail under emacs 29.3

From: Julian Bradfield
Subject: Re: running viewmail under emacs 29.3
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2024 09:09:06 +0100 (BST)

On 2024-06-26, Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha@gmx.de> wrote:
> XEmacs hasn't been touched in 15 years, the latest release is from
> 2009.

21.5.b35 was released in May 2023.

> already obsolete at that time.  I can't imagine that anybody is using
> XEmacs today.  People who still insist on XEmacs today are free to
> install an older version of VM.

People are, but it could well be a two-digit number of people
worldwide.

> I suggest to discontinue support for XEmacs and to announce the
> dicision in the release notes.  Developers can ignore XEmacs related
> code for the time being.  It can be removed later when someone
> stumbles over it.  This way not everything has to be done at once but
> in the long term it would be nice if all XEmacs related code vanishes.

Most of the fsfmacs vs xemacs differences in VM are encapsulated in
VM's own abstractions. Unless you're planning on removing VM's
abstractions, which would be bad design, because fsfmacs might change
things in the future, there should be no need to remove the XEmacs
code. It would of course be incumbent on XEmacs users to add any
XEmacs-specific code required for new features.

This is unlikely to be me, as the current VM works well enough for me.

Julian.