viewmail-info

Re: running viewmail under emacs 29.3

From: John Stoffel
Subject: Re: running viewmail under emacs 29.3
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2024 11:33:19 -0400

>>> I'm aware of it.  It's an attempt to pull a zombie into real life,
>>> which can never work. :)

> [ I don't know what was the purpose, but indeed that release doesn't
>   prove that XEmacs development is still ongoing: If you look at the
>   commit history you'll see that there were *very* few commits in that
>   new release.  Not sure if it deserves to be described as pulling
>   a zombie into real life, tho.  ]

>> But the zombie still functions perfectly well to do work (as zombies
>> do).  The idea that because something is static, it must be obsolete,
>> is one I've never understood.

> +1

> Especially since we're on the VM mailing list 🙂

> For that reason the patch I sent months ago (which mainly aims to
> make the code a bit more futureproof by enabling `lexical-binding`
> and then addressing compiling warnings) doesn't drop XEmacs support.

I think I've been the most recent enduser pushing to get more work
done on VM because I love using it and don't want to change.  I did
start looking into changing the mutt keybindings to match that of
VM... but that's a big task as well since they're very different how
they work.

In any case, getting some patches flowing on a git repo where we can
pull and test and propose updates would be awesome.  Launchpad is just
not an ideal development platform in my eyes.

I really do appreciate all the people chiming in here and offering
options and support and such, I think it just goes to show that a good
tool can be kept alive.  XEmacs seems to work too, but unfortunately
the world moves on and changes.  As shown by the problems with VM and
emacs 28+ causing some problems.