pyatcron-devel-list

RE: [Pyatcron-devel-list] Task list in the main window

From: Julien Olivier
Subject: RE: [Pyatcron-devel-list] Task list in the main window
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:35:57 +0000

> Here's what I am afraid of, someone accidentally disabling a task that
> they want running by "mis-clicking" on the main window.  If we put it
> inside the task's properties, then you would have to open up the task to
> enable it, and then click apply or ok, to "save" the changes.  This way
> if you haven't made any changes, you can click cancel and be confident
> that nothing on it has changed.

If I agree with you that users shouldn't disable tasks by mis-clicking,
I think that it's way harder to mis-click on a button than to mis-click
on a check-box inside a list (like it was done before). More over, the
strike-through is somewhat explicit and, even if someone mis-clicks on
deactivate, he may easily see that he deactivated the task.

That said, activating-deactivating tasks is not something very common
and, thus, could be hidden from the main UI.

What about having it in the menu and not on the toolbar ?

> Now, another option may be to give people the option, in a preferences,
> where they could have the activate checkbox in the listbox or in the
> properties.  Because for me, if the tasks I were running were just on my
> laptop, and weren't real important, I would like the checkbox in the
> listbox.  It would be quick and easy to activate/deactivate a task,
> however, if it were on something more important, I would want it inside
> the properties, because I wouldn't want to accidentally turn off a task
> that was really important.

I'm not sure I follow you here... Hadn't we decided to kill the checkbox
in favour of a grey-out or a strike-through ?

> What do you all think?

To help you decide, I have attached a mockup with the strike-through and
the activate/deactivate buttons and menu entrys. I had previously sent a
version without the activate/deactivate buttons and Matthew had sent a
version with a checkbox.

I guess the best is to compare those UIs and decide which is the best
for regular users.