RE: [paragui-users] Hi, what is the current dev status?

From: Kamil Skalski
Subject: RE: [paragui-users] Hi, what is the current dev status?
Date: 25 Feb 2003 21:13:32 +0100

> Nice, but where can I get sample themes? I found one right now, thats
> not a lot :P

Two nice themes are included with sources (default and simple), one is
available on http://www.bms-austria.com/projects/paragui/
Well, of course it is your task to create gfx for your own project :)

> Of course I can create own ones later on... and which webpage is the
> active one?

I think they have some problems with pages, but most up to date seems
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/paragui/

> You mean you overrid the loop function? Yeah, I had that idea... but is
> there no in-ParaGui way?
> Does it provide a way to always draw LAST, so I can draw my stuff into
> the same window and not overwrite the GUI?

Yes, this way seems natural to me, especially if you want to filter ALL
event before they are processed by widgets.
Generally you must call PG_Application::UpdateRect(rectangle you have
changed) and also then make SDL_UpdateRect - it will redraw those parts
of widgets which you have overwritten.

> Uh... you got some sample code? Basicly what I need is to have my OpenGL
> SDL window where I can draw myself in and then I want multiple GUI

I can show you my code, but currently it is messy and I doubt it would
be useful for you to get what I mean. Better take a look at doublebuffer
example from ParaGUI. What about mergeing OpenGL and GUI? I'm still not
brave enough to try to do this... I'm waiting for paragl to become
reality (it will be rewritten ParaGUI to use entirely GL for rendering).
You can download paragl from CVS (there is instruction on page) and take
a look at it's example code - quete nice idea is here.

> for whatever layout they like... but I definitely DO need the OpenGL
> window cause my game app doesnt work without OpenGL...

I can't help you here, as I said I didn't explore Para that enough yet.
BTW I wonder if anybody from developers could throw in something... :)

> By overriding you mean... ok... can I maybe declare the whole window I
> use for my own drawing to be a giant totally transparent widget and then
> supply it a callback function??

Wow, crazy, but nice idea :) but I'm not sure if you would be able to
operate any widget (they all would be under window which already catched
all events... In my project I derive from PG_MessageObject - my object
catch all events which are not processed by other events, for example
any mouse moves which are not over existing widget. I know, it is not
enough, but I can always make my filtering in main interface loop (as I
mentioned previously). Anybody know better solutions?

> P.S: Any sample code is appreciated, cause the test app doesnt compile
> in VC6.0 and I didnt even see ONE working ParaGUI app yet...

Well, I think that you should start with making it compile... Library
which doesn't compile would be useless to me... I have no expirience
with VC, I work on linux