RE: [paragui-users] OpenGL and other questions....

From: SkyFlash
Subject: RE: [paragui-users] OpenGL and other questions....
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:53:52 -0700

> fast - fairly.  (I'm not that happy with current font
> handlers but have yet to come up with better)

Ok.. if its just one thing :P

> Well, rendering -to- opengl isn't in the main version of
> ParaGUI.  Could make it render to an SDL visual and then
> render that yourself of course :)

DOH! I need rendering to OpenGL though. :P

> PG_Application - but look at the demo 'dblbuffer' and
> 'animation' more.

I will... the only problem is that I cannot compile them with VC6,
internal compiler error,
and I already got the latest SP.

> at this point things are getting to the point there NEEDS to
> be a real demonstration of paragui in operation :)

Yes please!! :)

> btw - I'm the (main) programmer on the opengl branch - will
> still isn't 100% *sigh*.  Been on hiatus due to RL overload..

Ok, now, at which point is it? Does it work basicly but not smooth or
not at all yet?
Cause ParaGUI currently is worthless to me as I can only have my app
render to OpenGL due to speed issues.
(its a 3D game) So the only solution for me is to get it going if I want
to use ParaGUI for my app.
Q: Can the CVS opengl stuff create a basic GUI and overlay it on my
supplied screen???

Also, are there any alternatives to ParaGUI? I really need a SDL, opengl
gui library badly...

Also, I dont grasp at all how ParaGUI works yet... I didnt find any
manuals, just the API doygen docs, and
seven very basic tutorials that just draw a gui. :P

Is there any sample app that shows how to make ParaGUI draw on screens I
supply to it, or how to make it share a screen
with another drawing engine, how the background stuff works (I tried
making my app draw to the background surface thats
inside PG_Application but it crashed terribly), how to insert into the
event queue from my app, how to not use the
PG_Application at all, how to filter events from the event queue and
route them to my own callbacks or something like that?
Cause thats all things I prolly need to do... any pointer to docs about
that would be appreciated as well!

Also...
Which function triggers the actual drawing of the GUI?
How can I access the background surface and draw to it, and how do I do
it threadsafe???

I dont really see the side entrances to using ParaGI yet... the basic
create - loadtheme - init - run works great, but its totally useless..
lol
Basicly, my whole knowledge comes from the header files and the
tutorials. :)

SkyFlash