Re: [Openexr-devel] More documentation coming? Questioins on writing fi

From: Mr 'Zap' Andersson
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] More documentation coming? Questioins on writing files etc...
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 08:00:07 +0001

On Stardate 27 Jan 2003, 22:37, subspace transmissions from Drew Hess
<address@hidden> indicated:

> > Good. Is there some more documentation coming? I find this slightly
> > underdocumented. While I can decode the usage of reading from the display
> > app, the usage for writing kinda eludes me. Especially since I would like
> > to be able to export as many channgls as MAX supports...
>
> There were a few emails that went out last week about writing OpenEXR
> images.  I'll mail them to you privately.

Cool.

Other query: If I use the class for importing RGBA data, will that be
confused if the file contains MORE than just RGBA?

> > Also... should I implement any of this deblur, knee etc. stuff in the
> > import, or should I simply import the data as-is and let the existing MAX
> > functions for tweaking response curves do that job instead? As I feel
> > those functions are kinda meant for DISPLAY anyway... right?
>
> Yeah, those functions are for display, but if MAX expects image data to be
> "cooked" for display, you'll need to apply at least a gamma curve to get
> them into the display space that MAX expects.

No max expects it's image data to "know" it's gamma (and applies a
configurable default to file formats that lack this info), and applies
gamma correction for display (although this can be disabled if one wants
to). So telling max the file's gamma is 1.0 should do the trick.

However, I am having compile trouble (VC7 doesnt like the headers and goes
crazy, even though I did grab a version supposedly "msvc" fixed from the
list) so I'm kinda stuck waiting for an "official" works-with-vc-7 release.

Are there more "defined" OpenEXR channels?

I'm planning to output as many channels that I can squeeze out of max,
i.e. z, pixel velocity vectors, UVW, normals... the lot. But I see that
only "R", "G", "B" and "A" is defined. Are there any preexisting "de
facto" standards for channel names and their definition - if even within
ILM - for stuff like UVW coordinates, surface normals, surface ID's, etc?

/Z

> -dwh-

I AM CURRENTLY SEARCHING FOR A JOB - SEE http://www.Master-Zap.com/cv/
Programming, CAD technology, image/audio manipulation, music/video
production, 3D animation, compositing, etc. are among my skills.
Hakan "Zap" Andersson |   Music and Software Wizard    | Get this joke?
address@hidden    |   http://www.Master-Zap.com    | Q: 0x2b | ~0x2B
address@hidden    | http://www.lysator.liu.se/~zap | A: 42
 Download MASTER ZAP Music and buy the DAM CD at http://www.mp3.com/zap/
 "'twas brillig, and the slithy toves, did gyre and gimble in the wabe.
 All mimsy were the borogoves, and the mome raths outgrabe" - L. Carroll