om-synth

[Om-synth] Re: midi control of effects

From: Jake Michaelson
Subject: [Om-synth] Re: midi control of effects
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 12:55:49 -0600

arrg! 0.2! arrg! ;) 0.2 is ancient. CVS/SVN is what you should be
using. Improvements are many. I'm not sure about PC vs CC messages but
any of the midi converter/filter programs should be able to read in
one and generate another if om can't do it. Usually dave responds very
quickly to feature requests. Just not release requests ;)

Loki

Yeah... I just installed 0.2.0 because that was what was in the Dapper repos - I wanted to get a feel for what Om was like without having to install from source. Now that I have a better idea, I'll do an install from CVS.

Also, I'll try a MIDI router/converter in the meantime, but it would be nice to have recognition of all types of MIDI messages built-in within Om - fewer apps open means more resources for RT performance.

Thing is with PC messages is... what is Om supposed to do with them?

Basically everything in Om is done as a Node (eg plugin). Advanced MIDI
functionality is limited right now because we don't have a plugin
specification with decent MIDI support.  Thankfully one is coming soon
(LV2).

Sounds like what you need is a plugin with a MIDI input, and a control
input for a program number, which acts as a gate, enabling pass through of audio if that program is active and cutting off the audio otherwise?
Would that do?  Could be done as a DSSI since there's no MIDI output
needed....

-DR-

Thanks for the quick response, Dave. I like your idea - I would describe this new node as a toggle switch: on the left of the node one audio in and one MIDI in, on the right side of the node two audio outs. Only one audio out would be active at any given time, and if the node receives the specified MIDI message, it toggles between the outs. To get my desired result I could use this "theoretical node" as follows: one audio out could route directly into the master PCM out (pass-through) and the other could route through an effects patch and finally end up at the same PCM master out. Sending a MIDI message would simply toggle these routes (effect applied/no effect applied).

I hope such a node wouldn't be too difficult to incorporate into Om, because it would make Om a whole lot more useful for me (and some others, I assume).

Thanks!

Jake