om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] midi control of effects

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] midi control of effects
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 22:12:27 -0400

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 16:50 -0600, Jake Michaelson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First-time poster here.  I'm new to modular synths and MIDI in
> general, but am pretty literate in the world of Linux, etc.  I just
> bought a MIDI foot controller for my wife, hoping she could use it in
> her live acts (she sings/plays guitar) to control a live looping
> setup and also some guitar/vocal effects.  I already got the looping
> taken care of with SooperLooper and the MIDI programming/learning
> couldn't have been easier.  I've had a more difficult time finding a
> good setup for controlling effects.  I need a JACK-compatible system
> that can host LADSPA plugins as well as be controlled via MIDI.  Now
> my ideas of MIDI control are much more simplistic than most
> peoples'.  All the control I really need is to toggle between pass-
> through and effect-on.  I don't need any control over parameters -
> these will be pre-set.
>
> I like om so far, but am unable to figure out how to accomplish this
> simple effect on / effect off control via MIDI within OM. I can get
> the PCM ins and outs connected with a LADSPA plug-in in between, but
> I don't know how to incorporate MIDI switching/routing to turn the
> patch on and off.
>
> Can anyone give me some guidance on how to do this?
>
> By the way, it seems that om can only read CC messages, it can't
> distinguish my PC messages (most of my pedals are PC rather than
> CC).  Is there any way to enable it to read ALL MIDI signals (PC, CC,
> notes, etc.), rather than just CCs?  This would help me get more use
> out of my pre-set pedals.

Thing is with PC messages is... what is Om supposed to do with them?

Basically everything in Om is done as a Node (eg plugin).  Advanced MIDI
functionality is limited right now because we don't have a plugin
specification with decent MIDI support.  Thankfully one is coming soon
(LV2).

Sounds like what you need is a plugin with a MIDI input, and a control
input for a program number, which acts as a gate, enabling pass through
of audio if that program is active and cutting off the audio otherwise?
Would that do?  Could be done as a DSSI since there's no MIDI output
needed....

-DR-