om-synth

[Om-synth] Re: midi control of effects

From: Loki Davison
Subject: [Om-synth] Re: midi control of effects
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:14:04 +1000

On 6/16/06, Jake Michaelson <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi all,

First-time poster here.  I'm new to modular synths and MIDI in
general, but am pretty literate in the world of Linux, etc.  I just
bought a MIDI foot controller for my wife, hoping she could use it in
her live acts (she sings/plays guitar) to control a live looping
setup and also some guitar/vocal effects.  I already got the looping
taken care of with SooperLooper and the MIDI programming/learning
couldn't have been easier.  I've had a more difficult time finding a
good setup for controlling effects.  I need a JACK-compatible system
that can host LADSPA plugins as well as be controlled via MIDI.  Now
my ideas of MIDI control are much more simplistic than most
peoples'.  All the control I really need is to toggle between pass-
through and effect-on.  I don't need any control over parameters -
these will be pre-set.

I like om so far, but am unable to figure out how to accomplish this
simple effect on / effect off control via MIDI within OM. I can get
the PCM ins and outs connected with a LADSPA plug-in in between, but
I don't know how to incorporate MIDI switching/routing to turn the
patch on and off.

Can anyone give me some guidance on how to do this?

By the way, it seems that om can only read CC messages, it can't
distinguish my PC messages (most of my pedals are PC rather than
CC).  Is there any way to enable it to read ALL MIDI signals (PC, CC,
notes, etc.), rather than just CCs?  This would help me get more use
out of my pre-set pedals.

FYI I'm running om 0.2.0 under Ubuntu Dapper.

Thanks in advance!

--Jake

arrg! 0.2! arrg! ;) 0.2 is ancient. CVS/SVN is what you should be
using. Improvements are many. I'm not sure about PC vs CC messages but
any of the midi converter/filter programs should be able to read in
one and generate another if om can't do it. Usually dave responds very
quickly to feature requests. Just not release requests ;)

Loki