om-synth

[Om-synth] midi control of effects

From: Jake Michaelson
Subject: [Om-synth] midi control of effects
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:50:08 -0600

Hi all,

First-time poster here. I'm new to modular synths and MIDI in general, but am pretty literate in the world of Linux, etc. I just bought a MIDI foot controller for my wife, hoping she could use it in her live acts (she sings/plays guitar) to control a live looping setup and also some guitar/vocal effects. I already got the looping taken care of with SooperLooper and the MIDI programming/learning couldn't have been easier. I've had a more difficult time finding a good setup for controlling effects. I need a JACK-compatible system that can host LADSPA plugins as well as be controlled via MIDI. Now my ideas of MIDI control are much more simplistic than most peoples'. All the control I really need is to toggle between pass- through and effect-on. I don't need any control over parameters - these will be pre-set.

I like om so far, but am unable to figure out how to accomplish this simple effect on / effect off control via MIDI within OM. I can get the PCM ins and outs connected with a LADSPA plug-in in between, but I don't know how to incorporate MIDI switching/routing to turn the patch on and off.

Can anyone give me some guidance on how to do this?

By the way, it seems that om can only read CC messages, it can't distinguish my PC messages (most of my pedals are PC rather than CC). Is there any way to enable it to read ALL MIDI signals (PC, CC, notes, etc.), rather than just CCs? This would help me get more use out of my pre-set pedals.

FYI I'm running om 0.2.0 under Ubuntu Dapper.

Thanks in advance!

--Jake