om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] Re: midi control of effects

From: Scott Davidson
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] Re: midi control of effects
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 14:51:02 -0700

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:37:06 -0400, "Dave Robillard"
<address@hidden> said:
> On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 14:03 -0700, Scott Davidson wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 22:39:17 +0200, "Lars Luthman"
> > <address@hidden> said:
> > >
> > > It sounds a bit too specific - I'd rather see a node with a single MIDI
> > > input (and possibly a control input to select the program number) and a
> > > single audio output, where the audio output signal is a gate that is
> > > controlled by MIDI PCs. Then it could be used with a mixer plugin or
> > > some signal logic to create the effect/bypass thing.
> > >
> > > Not that I would be opposed to anyone writing a plugin like the one you
> > > described, of course.
> > >

> > I like the plugin/gate idea and I respect the fact that the Node is
> > intended to be relatively naive. However, wouldn't the original plugin
> > node you are trying to bypass still be eating up processor cycles? Seems
> > like this could get expensive, depending on the plugin. I guess you
> > could put the plugin in a patch and use the existing patch-bypass
> > functionality in conjunction with the plugin/gate, but that might get
> > cumbersome.
>
> External plugin nodes have zero runtime overhead over internal ones, if
> that's what you mean.
>
> -DR-

I was just saying that the external plugin would still be chuging away,
potentially doing some expensive processing/FFTs. In the case that we're
not sending it any signal to process, it would be nice to
disable/disconnect the external plugin, or whatever the semantics are
for LADSPA/LV2. (Apologies for not being very familiar with the plugin
API).

-Scott